Google+

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

February Kit Projects + Video with Guest Designer Riikka Kovasin

Hi there! It's Riikka here to share my final guest designs for C'est Magnifique. This time I was working with the February Kit. I loved the metallic shades it has! I created three layouts and one book cover in total, today I'm sharing the first two of my projects. Let's get started!



My first page is about autumn and rowan. I really like the contrast of the dark branches and the red, almost luminous berries when the autumn sun hits them. To my surprise and delight one of the papers from the kit had a rowan branch and two waxwings sitting on it. That paper fit my subject marvelously!


I started by painting some watercolor on the background and then doodled little circles to resemble the circular shape of the berries. I also made little clusters of pearls confetti style. Underneath you can see the video how I did the page.


I mostly used supplies from the kit, like the metal flower and die-cuts and the zipper pull, but also added something from my own stash. Those items include brown ink, black felt pen, pencil and the alpha stickers.



The second craft I'm sharing today is a notebook or an art journal cover. I gave the piece to my daughters after taking the photos so I'm guessing it's going to be filled with drawings and stories (in their own language and writing, so they can be read in a number of ways).


I started by adhering a piece of patterned paper to the backs of the cover. I thought to have the leaf on the cover showing partly but ended up covering it almost totally. Using gel medium I then added the resin birds, metallic embellishments and pieces of chipboard from the kit to the cover. I also used some items from my own stash to make the design fuller. Then I added some of the sand paste to the cover as well and let it dry.


After the mediums were dry, I covered the cover with white gesso and then started coloring it using the watercolor from the kit and a mist of my own. I was aiming for a watercolor styled look so I kept the paint and mist kind of smudgy. On top of the color I then added touches with the metallic rubs and also doodled with the marker. I finished the cover by adding some bling--the tiny micro beads.


Besides the items from the kit I also used a purple mist, some paper roses, a bottle cap and five pieces from an old bracelet.


Thank you for stopping by today! If you want to find me online, please visit my blog Paperiliitin!

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous work Riikka! Thanks for another video! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always fab projects Rikka . Enjoyed the video.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful layout - simple and elegant! The journal cover is so very, very gorgeous - the layout and colors are perfect. Thanks for sharing the video.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much lovely detail. Will have to look at the video for tips !

    ReplyDelete